Saturday, June 20, 2020

St James Palace Stakes 2019 - It will be a P in the win column

I think Saturday's St James Palace Stakes will be a battle between the P's; I cannot find anything else other than Pinatubo or Palace Pier to win this. Many favour Wichita from Ballydoyle after his excellent second place in the 2000 Guineas but I believe that was a one-off and the 2 above-mentioned are better milers.

Pinatubo was the biggest loser that day, losing his invincible record and glossy reputation in the process. In my view, although he disappointed somewhat, he still proved to be a leading miler of his generation. If that outing prepped him up well, he will definitely be the one to beat. I also believe the soft ground will play in his favour and the ground at Newmarket might have been a bit too quick for him.

The dark horse of the race is Palace Pier, an unbeaten son of Kingman. He has won all his 3 races to date with relative ease albeit in rather minor company, but has shown the trademark of a top-class horse. He's now thrown in the deep end and I think he's the progressive type that can challenge the Godolphin star.  He might be the horse with the least rating in the field but it wouldn't surprise me if this race puts him as one of the leaders of this year's mile category.

At current odds, I would double on both as to win.

Win: Pinatubo/Palace Pier

No comments:

Post a Comment