Friday, June 24, 2011

Irish Derby

Another For Joe was a disappointing 5th and did not seem to have any interest in the race. I will still follow him closely next time because whenever horses are held up in that fashion and ridden at the end without giving much impression, they tend to benefit from a tactical change in their next race and run to their true form.

In my preview to the Epsom Derby, I was downright downbeat on Carlton House. I just couldn't see it win, but I must admit that the Queen's colt surprised me considerably by finishing only a length off Pour Moi. I thought he ran a great race and dismissed any stamina concerns that I had had on him.

Carlton House is the deserving favourite for Sunday's Irish Derby and I like his chances to win it. Interestingly, there are no sons of Montjeu in this race, the Coolmore stud being the best source of Classic distance runners. The other runners in the race are rated very close and the one to emerge from the pack will probably be the one that adapts best to the good/yielding going. Treasure Beach gets my vote for the runner-up position. My recommendation is for a Carlton House each-way punt.

Each-way: Carlton House.

No comments:

Post a Comment